What comes to mind when you hear the word “date”? Other than date on a calendar, a date can be defined differently by people. A man may think he is dating a woman when the latter doesn’t think so. On the other hand, a woman may think she is going on a date with a man when the man thinks it is but a short while company.
To clearly define what “date” is, it is important to be frank and vocal about what you think it is and what it is not because your definition may not be someone else’s. This is for the good of the other party and for your own good. You do not want to end up thinking the wrong thing or expecting something further from a night out at a restaurant with that gal or guy when there is really nothing to it on the other person’s perspective.
So what is a date?
A “real date”, so to say, is when a man and a woman are genuinely attracted to each other and they agreed to meet alone and assess each other’s personality. A date is not a meetup just to have sex – that scenario is a “hook up”, not a date. A date doesn’t need to involve sex, either. A healthy date is more than sex and smooching.
What is a healthy date then?
A man or woman worth spending a relationship with whether as a boyfriend/girlfriend or as a husband/wife in the future is one who takes the time to know you and gives you the time to know him/her. This is, I believe, the basis of a healthy date.
A healthy date is one that allows both parties to learn from each other. They learn each other’s likes and dislikes, their favorite food, hobbies, interests, and family background among others. It is not centered on physical contact, rather, on what is best for both parties. Since you are both trying to learn more about each other, it is better to spend some time together on activities that will bring out the best (and the worst) of you and your date.
Things to do
So, now that you know what a date is and what a healthy date is, here are some of the things you can do on a first date other than partying and club hopping:
- If you want to see how adventurous a guy or girl is as he/she claimed to be, you can probably arrange a two-some mountain climbing or a less strenuous activity like biking.
- You may also agree to volunteer to teach arts and crafts together in a kids’ classroom. This will tell you how well you and your partner can handle kids.
- How about eating at a restaurant as most dates do? This can give you and your date some time to discuss matters together and talk about yourselves.
- You may arrange a two-some picnic at the park, too, provided that the weather is good.
- Are you or your partner fond of museums? Visit some museums and learn some facts and figures. Talk about what you’ve learned and see how each one reason, discuss, or even debate on certain information.
There are a lot of things you can come up with to do on a first date. The main aim of a first date is to get to know each other better. Your activities are your own choices. But make sure you choose activities that will bring out the best in both you and your partner. The outcome will both tell you if you are fit to become intimate partners or not.
By: Jonna Lindawan